Interested in being a guest on Two Pint PLC? Are you a researcher with work that should inform classroom practice? Are you an educator who wants to contribute to the PLC? Here are our 2023 further revised guidelines for hosting guests on the show.
Guests appear on Two Pint PLC periodically and segments will be interspersed throughout our monthly schedule. We welcome researchers, teachers, and education-related content creators – anyone with a professional investment in education.
Generally, our scheduling process works thusly:
- You express actionable interest in appearing on the show. We enter your name onto the list of possible future guests and request a topic.
- You provide a topic of discussion and a month during which you’d like to discuss it. We share the current state of the queue and make the show notes available to you. At this point you are “booked”!
- We reserve your chosen month, complete the show notes over time, and the preparation is finished.
- We tape the show in the afternoon of your chosen date.
- We prefer remote taping arrangements for the foreseeable future. We record via Zencastr using their audio recording and video for interaction only (no video recording).
Prompting Literature Considerations
Most segments on the show are prompted by reading a peer-reviewed article prior to taping. Periodically we may read from other sources (ex: professional blog posts, news articles, etc.). Our current guidelines for evaluating quality sources are:
- Recency: Must be from this year or last, and the newer the better.
- Generality: The show’s audience is all teachers, so any topic benefits from having generalizable messages.
- Diversity: We want to consider literature from all parts of the world.
- Quality: The work should speak to our classroom philosophy to promote thoughtful reflection, and perhaps a change in practice.
- Accessibility: Communication material should make an effort to be accessible (image alt text, visual & video abstracts, open access publication, etc).
We also note, at this time we will not be reading or considering publications from MDPI journals. We recognize the issue is complex, and this post from Paolo Crosetto provides a good summary of the argument that persuades us to avoid those journals for now.
Participation for Guest Hosts
When hosts join the discussion on Two Pint PLC, the conceit of their appearance is they are bringing a topic important to them and a perspective to share on that topic. The show has two segments, and here is how you could fit into each of those:
- You provide the topic (and potentially the citation) for the first segment. We join in the discussion you have seeded.
- We provide the topic and citation for the second segment. We all enter this conversation equally.
- I will follow the same literature guidelines above.
- While early episodes included a third segment, we have committed to a 2-segment format for most shows moving forward.
Miscellaneous Questions from Guests
- We can drink a beer of your choosing, you can drink something we choose, or you can drink something different from us (alcoholic or non-). We have a firm “drink what you want” policy.
- We will request that you provide a picture to include in the episode cover collage. The photo will have some branding requests, and you can see how they look from past guests.
- Note: The show is produced, and is not intended to present in a “live” format. Our general goal is that the show not take more than a full day of your time. Adequate preparation can be completed in the morning of the taping day, taping typically produces 1.5 – 2.5 hours of raw tape, and the final product is not allowed to exceed 45 minutes (although you have no responsibilities in the editing process). You can prepare more if you wish, but it is not an expectation.