Dr. Heidi Hallman, associate professor of English education at the University of Kansas and author of Secondary English Teacher Education in the United States: Responding to a Changing Context, joins our PLC this month. Patterns in teacher preparation have changed over the last couple decades. Patterns in how teachers are trained to use standards, leverage technology and support diverse learners impact how those teachers will participate in their future departments.
Later, we’ll look at how research into mastery learning has affected success in surgical training. Differences in practice and assessment method lead to differences in student growth. The nature of the practice problems, the schedule on which we practice and the rate at which we move on to new material all affect the progress of our students and the durability of their competency.
- 1st Segment – 1:24 – Trends in English Education
- 2nd Segment – 25:32 – Mastery Learning
- 3rd Segment – 39:28 – Peer Review: New directions in differentiation for Kansas (011)
Associate professor of English education
University of Kansas - School of Education - Curriculum & Instruction
- How English Language Arts Teachers Are Prepared for Twenty-First-Century Classrooms: Results of a National Study
Caughlan, S., Pasternak, D. L., Hallman, H. L., Renzi, L., Rush, L. S., & Frisby, M. (2017). How English Language Arts Teachers Are Prepared for Twenty-First-Century Classrooms: Results of a National Study. English Education, 49(3), 265.
- Mastery learning: how is it helpful? An analytical review
Siddaiah-Subramanya, M., Smith, S., & Lonie, J. (2017). Mastery learning: how is it helpful? An analytical review. Advances in medical education and practice, 8, 269.
- Secondary English Teacher Education in the United States (Bloomsbury Academic)
- Design and Evaluation of a Problem-Based Learning Environment for Teacher Training (Hemker 2017)
- Problem-Based Learning for the Pre-service Teacher (Barron 2013)
- Common Core ELA Standards (Grades 11-12)
- Science Teacher Education in the Twenty-First Century: a Pedagogical Framework for Technology-Integrated Social Constructivism (Barak 2017)
- State Board of Education Approves Pilot Programs for Accelerated Teaching Licenses (High Plains Public Radio)
- New accreditation process focuses on student growth (Mill Valley News)
- We should aim for perfection – and stop fearing failure (Bowers 2017)
We drink Surreal Skies, an imperial dark saison from Double Shift Brewing in Kansas City, MO.