Building culture has a tremendous impact on teacher satisfaction, student engagement, and the daily education experience. This month’s article shows us how social contagion can cause teacher stress to burden students, teacher enthusiasm to excite students, and more!
Later, Laurence responds to a listener request with details on how he builds his classroom culture in the first two weeks of school. We also bring back the non-sequitur with a debate on a dramatic claim from Twitter.
- First Segment – 1:12 – Social contagion in classrooms and buildings
- Second Segment – 21:11 – Culture setting in the first weeks & teacher/student interactions per day
- Third Segment – 30:40 – Peer Review with Matthew Moore on flipped learning with responsible technology
Teacher & Adjunct Professor
Burgess, L. G., Riddell, P. M., Fancourt, A., & Murayama, K. (2018). The Influence of Social Contagion Within Education: A Motivational Perspective. Mind, Brain, and Education.
- Research, Digital Natives, Flipped Learning & Two Pints PLC (Matthew Moore)
- The Return of Dr. Fox (Psychology Today)
- Bias, the Brain, and Student Evaluations of Teaching (Merritt 2012)
- An Open letter to Students Returning to School (John Green)
- Make It Stick (2014)
- Class Size Effects on the Number and Types of Student-Teacher Interactions in Primary Classrooms (Folmer-Annevelink 2009)
- How much research has been done on flipped learning? Annual update for 2018 (Flipped Learning, Talbert)
- [email protected]
We drink Alchemy Coffee Stout, a seasonal stout from Martin City Brewing Company in Kansas City, MO.