Problems in education are often a complex mix of social, cognitive, and historical processes. Dr. Beth Holland, author of a recent Education Week piece we read, joins us to talk about education perspective.
Later, Dr. Holland shares her expertise in studying school networks as we discuss how we can get more from our efforts in working with colleagues.
The Peer Review brings us a paper from our listeners that was a favorite from 2018. We read a brief from 100Kin10 about improving representation of women in STEM.
- First Segment – 01:56 – Considering the lenses in education
- Second Segment – 21:08 – Analyzing and leveraging professional networks
- Third Segment – 33:35 – Peer Review: 100Kin10 – Increasing Visibility of Women in STEM
Cover image credit: Joi Ito
Researcher and CoSN Program Director
Holland, B. (2018). The Side Effects of Education: Understanding Perspectives. Retrieved March 18, 2019, from http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/edtechresearcher/2018/08/the_side_effects_of_education_perspectives_on_education.html?cmp=SOC-SHR-FB
Brown, T. Emery, C. Gilliam, J. Herald, C. Orr, J. Roediger, A. Zych, A. (2018). Increasing Visibility of Women in STEM. 100Kin10 Project, from https://grandchallenges.100kin10.org/progress/100kin10-project-team-project-team-increasing-visibility-of-women-in-stem
- Dr. Twenge and iGen
- Anthropologist Dr. boyd
- The Valedictorian Project (Boston Globe)
- The Summer Slide (EdSurge)
- Linked to innovation: Shaping an innovative climate through network intentionality and educators’ social network position (Moolenaar 2014)
- Relationships in reform: the role of teachers’ social networks (Daly 2009)
- The Ties That Bind: How Social Capital Is Forged and Forfeited in Teacher Communities
- The Basics of Sociograms (Six Seconds)
- “Blondel method” of creating sociograms – Louvian method of finding communities (GitHub)
- Dr. Meredith Honig – University of Washington
- Dr. James Spillane – Northwestern
- Food for Thought by Beth Holland
- Beth Holland at Edutopia
We drink Revenge of the Dragon, a nitro stout from Martin City Brewing Company in Kansas City, MO.