Our second month of emergency remote teaching leaves us searching for ways to help our students grow in all the areas we value. We start by reading a paper that identifies connections between socio-emotional constructs, with ways to promote growth in executive function and citizenship together.
Later, we read a program guide to effectively planning remote field trips. Avoid common mistakes and find options for connecting with possible visitors to your remote classroom.
Finally, our Peer Review shares detailed feedback from authors of last month’s paper on award winning online instructors.
- First Segment – 01:59 – Connections between self-regulation and prosocial behavior
- Second Segment – 18:23 – Planning for Remote Field Trips
- Third Segment – 31:04 – Peer Review: 038 Award Winning Teachers feedback
Cover image by Morgan Harper, BLM
- Intra-individual associations between intentional self-regulation and prosocial behavior during adolescence: Evidence for bidirectionality
Memmott-Elison, M., Padilla-Walker, L. M., Yorgason, J. B., & Coyne, S. M. (2020). Intra-individual associations between intentional self-regulation and prosocial behavior during adolescence: Evidence for bidirectionality. Journal of Adolescence, 80, 29-40.
- Electronic Field Trips for Science Engagement: The Streaming Science Model.
Loizzo, J., Harner, M. J., Weitzenkamp, D. J., & Kent, K. (2019). Electronic Field Trips for Science Engagement: The Streaming Science Model. Journal of Applied Communications, 103(4)
- What is Self-Regulation (Positive Psychology)
- Self-Regulation, Ego Depletion, and Motivation (Baumeister 2007)
- Your Inner Fish (Shubin 2009)
- Connector (PrepKC)
- Award-winning faculty online teaching practices: Course design, assessment and evaluation, and facilitation (Martin 2019a)
- Award-Winning Faculty Online Teaching Practices: Roles and Competencies (Martin 2019b)
- Engagement matters: Student perceptions on the importance of engagement strategies in the online learning environment (Martin 2018a)
- Student perception of helpfulness of facilitation strategies that enhance instructor presence, connectedness, engagement and learning in online courses (Martin 2018b)
We drink Single Shot and Double Shot, coffee milk stouts from Treehouse Brewing Co. in Charlton, MA.
Thanks to Beer Vizier Aaron Mathieu for providing the beers for this episode.