Universal Design for Learning is an exciting framework to improve accessibility of instruction. However, Dr. Guy Boysen joins us to discuss his critiques of the existing research to support UDL and how future work could improve confidence among scholars.
Later, Lali DeRosier returns to the show to share a paper on science discourse in urban classrooms. We explore why science talk matters, and how to facilitate just & effective discourse among students.
- First Segment – 02:03 – Discussing a Critique of UDL Research
- Second Segment – 31:46 – Science Discourse in Urban Classrooms
Science Teacher and Education Advocate
Professor of Psychology
- Boysen, G. A. (2021). Lessons (not) learned: The troubling similarities between learning styles and universal design for learning. Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Psychology. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/stl0000280
- Bae, C. L., Mills, D. C., Zhang, F., Sealy, M., Cabrera, L., & Sea, M. (2021). A Systematic Review of Science Discourse in K–12 Urban Classrooms in the United States: Accounting for Individual, Collective, and Contextual Factors. Review of Educational Research, 91(6), 831–877. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543211042415
- Validation of the UDL Reporting Criteria With Extant UDL Research (Rao, 2019)
- 019 Evidence and Action (Two Pint PLC)
- Anatomy of STEM teaching in North American universities (Stains, 2018)
- A pocket guide to online teaching: Translating the evidence-based model teaching criteria (Richmond, Gurung & Boysen, 2021)
- Becoming a psychology professor: Your guide to landing the right academic job (Boysen, 2019)
- An evidence-based guide for college and university teaching: Developing the model teacher (Richmond, Boysen & Gurung, 2016)
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1976). The Experimental Ecology of Education. Educational Researcher , 5(9), 5–15.
- Tudge, J. R. H., Mokrova, I., Hatfield, B. E., & Karnik, R. B. (2009). Uses and misuses of bronfenbrenner’s bioecological theory of human development. Journal of Family Theory & Review, 1(4), 198–210.
- Hiebert, J., Carpenter, T. P., Fennema, E., Fuson, K., Human, Piet, Murray, H., Olivier, A., & Wearne, D. (1996). Problem Solving as a Basis for Reform in Curriculum and Instruction: The Case of Mathematics. Educational Researcher , 25(4), 12–21. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.3102/0013189X025004012
We drink Helles Lager, a Munich-style golden lager from KC Bier Co in Kansas City, MO.