Retrieval of information is a demanding cognitive process, and teachers must find instructional approaches that improve later retrieval of learned material. We discuss how different student experiences lead to varied success in retrieval, and how it might affect our choices for the experiences we provide in our classroom.
Later, we read an updated analysis of several major standardized tests in the United States. Errors in test administration and analysis led to some mistaken conclusions in the past, and leaves us with some important questions moving forward.
The Peer Review spotlights a listener-shared article on how teachers can avoid misunderstanding student contributions in class, which will lead to improved metacognition.
- First Segment – 01:36 – Student Experience and Retrieval
- Second Segment – 23:43 – Standardized Tests and Summer Slide
- Third Segment – 34:55 – Peer Review: Misunderstanding Student Discussion
Cover image from Murie Science Learning Center.
- A study of retrieval processes in action memory for school-aged children: the impact of recall period and difficulty on action memory
Badinlou, F., Kormi-Nouri, R., & Knopf, M. (2018). A study of retrieval processes in action memory for school-aged children: the impact of recall period and difficulty on action memory. Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 30(8), 792-802.
- Do Test Score Gaps Grow Before, During, or Between the School Years? Measurement Artifacts and What We Can Know in Spite of Them
von Hippel, P. T., & Hamrock, C. (2019). Do test score gaps grow before, during, or between the school years? Measurement artifacts and what we can know in spite of them. Sociological Science, 6, 43-80.
- Brain Dumps: A small strategy with a big impact (Retrieval Practice)
- Total recall: the people who never forget (The Guardian)
- Beginning School Study (BSS) (Harvard Dataverse)
- Poverty and School Performance (GRD) (NWEA)
- Kindergarten Class of 1998-99 (ECLS-K) (National Center for Education Statistics)
We drink Robust Porter, a coffee porter from Walnut River Brewing Company in El Dorado, KS.